Quincy Market
Li Jing   May 06.2016

Introduction

Quincy Market is a historic market complex near Faneuil Hall in downtown Boston, Massachusetts. It was constructed in 1824–26 and named in honor of Mayor Josiah Quincy, who organized its construction without any tax or debt. The market was designated a National Historic Landmark, recognizing its significance as one of the largest market complexes built in the United States in the first half of the 19th century.

Reason to Be Selected

The success of the Quincy market is also the development of ample tourism market in Boston. Of the many customers in the Quincy market, 60% are tourists. Quincy Market has become one of the must-see attractions in Boston.The Quincy Market was designed by Alexander Paris and was originally built east of the Faneuil Hall. In 1961, in order to redevelop the city's waterfront, the Boston Redevelopment Authority included Quincy Market in the city's transformation plan. Unlike the general demolition and construction, the plan did not abandon the original market, but decided to transform these buildings. The Quincy market is two stories high, 163 meters long and covers an area of 2,500 square meters. Architecturally, the Quincy market is built from huge traditional New England granite with red interior walls of the Red Brick. The building has a rectangular shape with a gallery on the central axis of the market. There are many seats and main side doors on the gallery.


History

By the time Boston was incorporated as a city in 1822, downtown commercial demand had grown beyond the capacity of Faneuil Hall. To provide an expansion of shop space Quincy Market was built, as an indoor pavilion of vendor stalls.
Designed by Alexander Parris, the main building was built immediately east of and "behind" Faneuil Hall which at the time sat next to the waterfront at the town dock. In an early example of Boston's tendency for territorial growth via landfill, part of the harbor was filled in with dirt to provide a plot of land for the market. The commercial growth spawned by the new marketplace led to the reconstruction or addition of six city streets.

From its beginning, the Market was largely used as a produce and foodstuff shopping center, with various grocers of such goods as eggs, cheese, and bread lining its inside walls. Digging performed for expansion of the market in the late 1970s uncovered evidence of animal bones, suggesting that butchering work was done on-site. In addition, street vendors took up space outside the building in its plazas and against its outside walls. Some surviving signs of early food and supplies merchants hang today in the upstairs seating hall.

Design

The market is two stories tall, 535 feet (163 m) long, and covers 27,000 square feet (2,500 m2) of land. Its exterior is largely traditional New England granite, with red brick interior walls, and represents the first large-scale use of granite and glass in post-and-beam construction. Within it employs innovative cast iron columns and iron tension rods. The east and west facades exhibit a strong Roman style, with strong triangular pediments and Doric columns. In contrast, the sides of the hall are more modern and American, with rows of rectangular windows.

The building's shape is a long rectangle, providing for a long hallway down its center line. On the roof are eight evenly spaced chimneys, and a copper-based dome in the center of the building, which covers an open common seating area and the major side entrances.

The main building is flanked on either side by 4 1⁄2-story brick and granite buildings, called the North Market and South Market. Part of the market's original development, these buildings have been more extensively altered than the main building.[2] The entire complex was designated a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.[1]


 

 

 

Boston - (City IQ)

Population: -
Area: -
Pop.Density: -
% of Urban Pop: -
GDP: -
GDP per Capita: -